My two sisters-in-law are going on a road trip to Oregon. So despite the 100+ degree weather in Sacramento, I turned the oven on and baked them some strawberry & lemon thumbprints for the drive.
The original recipe calls for raspberry preserves and almond extract. But over the years I’ve adapted the recipe to please my lemon loving in-laws. Below is my version of the recipe. You can use any flavor preserves you have available in the house. Enjoy!
Strawberry & Lemon Thumbprint cookies
1 cup butter, soften
2/3 cups white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup seedless preserves
zest of two lemons
Lemon Glaze Ingredients:
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter and white sugar until smooth. Mix in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix in flour until dough comes together. Zest lemons into the dough. Set lemons aside to use for glaze.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Make a small hole in the center of each ball, using your thumb and finger, and fill the hole with preserves.
- Bake for 14 to 18 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Let cookies cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the confectioners’ sugar, 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle lightly over warm cookies.